Travel Safety Tips:
- Before you go, make sure to clean out your wallet or purse; take only essential credit cards.
- Expensive, designer luggage can draw unneeded attention to your belongings. Pack your things in inconspicuous bags.
- Carry-on anything you may need or of value i.e., medication, jewelry.
- Don’t display expensive jewelry, cameras, bags and other valuable items.
- Stick to well-lit, well-traveled streets at all times.
- Always lock your car and leave valuables out of sight, preferably locked in the trunk.
- Don’t leave jewelry, money or other items lying around the hotel room when you go out, even for a short while. Lock them in the room or hotel safes. Do not leave them unattended at poolside or the beach either.
- Make sure rooms are securely locked and chains fastened wherever possible. Do not leave room keys lying out at the swimming pool.
- You should know who is knocking before you answer the door. If they say they are from the hotel, confirm with the hotel operator that they are in fact from the hotel.
- Always lock the door while in the room.
As an additional service for residents within the City of Powell, we conduct vacation house watches. If you’d like your house to be checked while you’re on vacation, visit here.
Try to set lights on a timer and/or leave a radio on while you’re gone. Also remember to stop mail/newspaper deliveries to further disguise your absence.